Kayaks on Grout Pond

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer of 2011

June 23: The last day of school!!! Actually, I had seniors this year so my last day was a while ago; but this is the official, actual, certified LAST last day . . . so what to do, what to do:
     I'd like to say I am going to learn German and work on translating Nietzsche, but I'm not--besides, that whole thing's been done and re-done; I'd also like to say that I am going to work on assuring peace in the world, but I'm not doing that either: I will be trying to keep peace in my own home, though! Finally, I'd love to say I'm going to hike the Appalachian Trail or explore the Amazon River basin, but I'm not really planning on doing either of those things. What I've got in store is a bit more mundane, a bit more simple, but fun and exciting just the same.
     The family is vacationing in Provincetown and the Berkshires and during those trips, in no particular order or designation, we'll go on a whale watch, catch a Cape Cod League ballgame, bet on thoroughbreds at Saratoga, zipline, listen to Train at Tanglewood, beach, bike, hike, dine famously in home and out, shop (ugh), play mini-golf, and relax and read. And this is just on the trips out of Dodge. In Holyoke I'll be doing a "lot of painting around here," according to Chris, and any other odd jobs we need done--cutting down trees, gardening--and watching Sandy Koufax and Legion ballgames. There will be day trips to the beach, and Chris and I have tickets for Lucinda Williams at Mt. Park; and I fully intend to ride my bike three times a week at least and kayak once every two weeks. Hopefully we can get Patrick a job and get him earning some bucks, and hopefully Alex will fall into a basketball or baseball camp, but he usually stays pretty busy.
     As usual, once August gets here it's football season for Alex and everybody starts thinking about getting back to routine, so summer really goes by quickly; but it's nice to have time off with family and it's nice to get together with friends and relatives. So enjoy your summer and perhaps I'll see some of you at some point.
     Finally, maybe I'll grab Chris and we'll do a little doubles freestyle canoeing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d_ecs7h184&feature=related
     Nah, probably not . . . Genießen Sie den Sommer, Spaß haben und seien Sie vorsichtig!

No comments:

Post a Comment